Student Publication List Available here!
Department graduates with links to thesis pdf and listing of current positions
- Reynir Winnan, M.S. (Bhatt),
- Mary Butwin, M.S. (Mölders), Theoretical Investigations on Strategies for Sampling Metoerological and Chemical Field Quantities in Smoke Plumes Using UAVS, pdf. PhD Program University of Iceland.
<==Video Summary of Thesis.
- Derek Starkenberg, Ph.D. (Fochesatto/Prakash), 'The Analysis of Turbulent Sensible Heat Fluxes within a Heterogeneous Black Spruce Boreal Forest in Alaska', pdf. Post Doc University of Michigan Ann Arbor.
<==Video Summary of Thesis.
- Gregory Deemer, M.S. (Bhatt/Eicken), 'On Using Numerical Sea-Ice Prediction and Indigenous Observations to Improve Operational Sea-Ice Forecasts During Spring in the Bering Sea', pdf.
<==Video Summary of Thesis.
- Richard Lader, M.S. (Bhatt),
'An Evaluation of Reanalysis Products for Alaska to Facilitate Climate Impact Studies', pdf.
UAF PhD program (J. Walsh)
- Joshua Walston, M.S. (Gibson),
'Evaluation of High Latitude Variability, with a Focus on Bering Sea Extremes Simulated by the Community Earth System Model, Version 1', pdf.
Utah State PhD program
- Soumik Basu, Ph.D., (Zhang),
'Modeling investigation of Northern Hemisphere Extratropical Storm Variability and Changes in a Warming Climate', pdf.
- Michael Pirhalla, M.S. (Mölders),
'Assessment of Particulate Accumulation Climatology under Inversions in Glacier Bay for the 2008 Tourist Season Using WRF/Chem Data'. M.S. Thesis, Department of Atmospheric Sciences, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, 148 p., pdf.
National Park Service, Fairbanks, AK.
- Vinay Kayetha M.S. (Sassen),
'Ice Clouds Over Fairbanks', Alaska, pdf.
DAS PhD program (Collins)
- Bithi De, M.S. (Zhang),
'Arctic Spring Transition in a Warming Climate: Analysis by Using a Reanalysis Dataset' , pdf.
PhD Program, Atmos Sci Purdue University
- Michael Madden, M.S. (Mölders),
'Using WRF/CHEm Surface Observations, and CALIPSO Data to Develop Synthetic Pixels for the Assessment of Smoke Signals at High Latitudes', pdf.
- Cecilia Borries, M.S. (Zhang),
'Atmospheric Moisture Transport and Its Impact on the Water Cycle over the North Pacific: The Roles of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation and El Nino', pdf.
- Ketsiri Leelasakultum, M.S. (Mölders),
'Investigation on the Impacts of Low-Sulfur Fuel Used in Residential Heating and Oil-Fired Power Plants on PM2.5-Concentrations and its Composition in Fairbanks', Alaska, pdf.
- Matthew Gruber, M.S. (Fochesatto),' Sensitivity Analysis and Solution Method for Scintillometer Measurements of Area-Average Turbulent Fluxes', pdf.
- Cameron Martus, M.S. (Collins), 'Exploration of Mesospheric Metal Layers from Chatanika, Alaska', pdf.
- Huy N. Q. Tran (Mölders)
'Analyiss of Model and Observation Data for the Development of a Public PM2.5 Air-Quality Advisories Tool (AQuAT)', pdf.
- Theodore Fathaur, M.S. (Mölders)
‘The Relation of Spring Pollen Release to Weather in Fairbanks, Alaska’, pdf.
- Brita Irving, M.S. (Collins)
'Rayleigh LIDAR studies of Mesospheric Inversion layers at Poker Flat Research Range, Chatanika, Alaska', pdf
- Peter Bieniek, Ph.D. (Bhatt)
‘Assessing River Ice Breakup Date, Coastal Tundra Vegetation and Climate Divisions in the Context of Alaska Climate Variability’, pdf
Postdoc at IARC (J. Walsh)
- Oceana Francis, Ph.D. (Bhatt/Atkinson)
‘Atmospheric Forcing of Wave States in the Southeast Chukchi Sea’, pdf,
Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii.
- John Mayfield, M.S. (Fochesatto)
‘The Micrometeorological Effects of Drainage Flow in the Winter Atmospheric Boundary Layer’, pdf
- Paula Moreira, M.S. (Zhang)
'Mesoscale Modeling of a Polar Low in the Chukchi and Beaufort Seas', pdf.
- Jean K Talbot, M.S. (Bhatt)
'Use of Hurst and Renyi Analysis to Detect and Characterize Pacific Decadal Oscillation Impacts on Climate Variability in Alaska', pdf,
Physics Dept. Lab Supervisor, UAF. ,UAF ATM Ph.D. program.
- Dyre O. Dammann, M.S. (Bhatt)
'Role of Arctic Sea Ice Variability in Climate Models', pdf,
UAF Geophysics Ph.D. program.
- Jiang Zhu, Ph.D. (Sassen)
'Investigation on Cirrus Clouds by the Cloud-Aerosol LIDAR and Infrared Pathfinder Satellite Observation Data', pdf,
GINA, UAF, Fairbanks, AK.
- Austin Cross, M.S. (Atkinson)
'Synoptic drivers of storm surge In Kotzebue Sound', pdf,
National Weather Service, Monterrey, CA.
- Julie Malingowski, M.S. (Atkinson)
'An Observational study of the surfaced--based radiation temperature inversion in Fairbanks, Alaska', pdf.
National Weather Service,NOAA.
- Rebecca Legatt (Heim), M.S. (Polyakov)
'North Atlantic Air-Sea Interactions Driven by Atmospheric and Oceanic Stochastic Forcing in a Simple Box Model', pdf.
NOAA Sea Ice Forecaster, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Debasish Pai Mazumder,Ph.D (Mölders),
' A concept to access the performance of a permafrost model run fully coupled with a climate model', pdf,
Postgraduate Scientist, NCAR, Boulder, CO.
- Stacy E. Porter, M.S. (Mölders),
'Investigation of the impact of ship emissions on atmospheric composition and deposition in remote, coastal landscapes of southwest Alaska', pdf,
Postdoctoral Researcher, OSU, past position: Ph.D. student at Ohio State University.
- Brentha Thurairajah, Ph.D. (Collins),
' Role of waves on the circulation of the arctic middle atmosphere: Rayleigh LIDAR measurements and analysis', pdf ,
Post-doc position at Virginia Tech.
- Michel dos Santos Mesquita, Ph.D.(Atkinson),
' Characteristics and variability of storm tracks in the North Pacific', Bering Sea and Alaska, pdf,
Scientist at Bjerknes Center in Bergen Norway.
- Agatha Light, M.S. (Collins),
'Theoretical and Experimental Investigations of Resonance Fluorescence Lidar for Measurements of N+2 in the Auroral Atmosphere', pdf,
U Montana Missoula, Past positions: Physics Dept. Lab Supervisor, UAF.
- Jennifer March, M.S. (Atkinson),
'Synoptic Climatology of the Eastern Brooks Range, Alaska: A Data Legacy of the International Geophysical Year', pdf, Fairbanks, AK.
- Stefanie Bourne, M.S. (Bhatt),
' A Climate Perspective of Observed and Modeled Surface-based Temperature Inversions in Alaska', pdf ,
Senior Consultant at DNV Global Energy Concepts, Inc Seattle, Washington.
- Morgan Brown (Yarker), M.S. (Mölders),
'Impact of Local External Forcing of the 2006 Augustine Volcano Eruption on Regional Weather Conditions' , pdf,
Owner/Consultant at Yarker Consulting, Cedar Rapids Iowa, past positions: University of Iowa, PhD Program.
- Patrick Cobb, M.S. (Sassen),
' Assessing the Performance of Several MODIS Level-2 Cloud and Aerosol Products Against a Surface Based Polarization Cloud LIDAR at Fairbanks, AK', pdf.,
Wind Energy Enterprise, Firefighter, New Mexico.
- Peter Bieniek, M.S. (Wendler),
' Climate and Predictibility of Alaska Wildfires', pdf,
DAS UAF Ph.D. Program
- Pavan Kankanala, M.S. (Sassen),
'Doppler Sodar Observations of the Winds and Structure in the Lower Atmosphere Over Fairbanks, Alaska' , pdf,
Southern California Edison, Los Angeles, CA.
- Zhao Li, Ph.D. (Mölders),
' Investigations on the Impacts of Land-Cover Changes and/or Increased CO2 Concentrations on Four Regional Water Cycles and Their Interactions with the Global Water Cycle', pdf,
Scientist at NASA/GSFC.
- Rawshan Muna, M.S. (Alexeev),
' On the Origin of Monson: Conventional Theory vs New Findings', Project M.S., pdf,
- Colin Murray, M.S. (Walsh),
' A Model Composite Assessment of the Enhancement of Arctic Warming by Sea Ice Retreat', Project MS.
- Kara Sterling, M.S. (Bhatt),
' Multi-Decadal Variability of Atlantic Water Heat Transports as Seen in the Community Climate Systems Model Version 3.0', pdf,
NOAA Tsunami Warning Center, Palmer, Alaska.
- Ramaswamy Tiruchirapalli, M.S. (Sassen),
' Micropulse Lidar Observations of Free Tropospheric Aerosols over the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement site at Barrow, Alaska', pdf,
Programmer Analyst at SAIC, NASA/GSFC, Maryland.
- James Campbell, Ph.D. (Sassen),
'Autonomous Full-Time Lidar Observations of Polar Stratospheric Clouds at South Pole', pdf,
Scientist at Naval Postgraduate School.
- Mihailo Jankov, M.S. (Mölders),
'Analysis of Uncertainty in Simulated Exchange of heat and Moisture at the Land-Atmosphere Interface', pdf,
Senior Engineer - Condensed Matter Physics, University of Oslo-Physics Dept., past position: Uof Oslo Ph.D. Program.
- Bala Narapusetty, M.S. (Mölders),
'Evaluation of a Hydro-thermodynamic Soil Vegetation Scheme on the Basis of
Observations and a Galerkin type Finite Element Numerical Scheme', pdf,
NASA GSFC, past positions: George Mason University/COLA, Ph.D. Program.
- Ipshita Majhi, M.S. (Mölders),
'Evaluation of a Hydro-thermodynamic Soil Vegetation Scheme by Observations in Alaska and the Baltic Region', Project MS, pdf,
UAF, PhD Program.
- Likun Wang, Ph.D. (Sassen),
'Mid-latitude Cirrus Cloud Structural Properties Analyzed From the Extended Facility for Atmospheric Remote Sensing', pdf .
Assistant Research Scientist at ESSIC, University of Maryland.
- Cecilé Hannay, M.S. (Bhatt),
'Single Column Model Simulations of Arctic Cloudiness and Surface Radiative Fluxes during the SHEBA Experiment', pdf,
Associate Scientist at NCAR CGD, Boulder Colorado, Past positions: Scientist NOAA CIRES Boulder
- Joseph Sheedy, M.S. (Cahill),
'On the Surface: Energy Budget of Antarctic Sea Ice', Project MS, pdf,
Velotron Heavy Industries, Seattle, WA.
- Adrienne Tivy, M.S. (Bhatt),
'Investigation of North Pacific Sea Ice Anomalies in the Context of Atmospheric and Oceanic Variability', pdf,
Canadian Ice Service, Past positions: IARC Post-doc at UAF, PhD U. Calgary Edmonton.