1. "During the Middle Ages there were all kinds of crazy ideas, such as that a piece of rhinoceros horn would increase potency. Then a method was discovered for separating the ideas -- which was to try one to see if it worked, and if it didn't work, to eliminate it. This method became organized, of course, into science. And it developed very well, so that we are now in the scientific age. It is such a scientific age, in fact, that we have difficulty in understanding how witch doctors could ever have existed, when nothing that they proposed ever really worked -- or very little of it did. But even today I meet lots of people who sooner or later get me into a conversation about UFO's, or astrology, or some form of mysticism, expanded consciousness, no types of awareness, ESP, and so forth. And I've concluded that it's not a scientific world." ("Surely You're Joking" Quote)
2. The fact that I beat a drum has nothing to do with the fact that I do theoretical physics. Theoretical physics is a human endeavor, one of the higher developments of human beings - and this perpetual desire to prove that people who do it are human by showing that they do other things that a few other humans do (like playing bongo drums) is insulting to me. I'm human enough to tell you to go to hell.
3. "Science is a way to teach how something gets to be known; what is not known; to what extent things ARE known (for nothing is known absolutely); how to handle doubt and uncertainty; what the rules of evidence are; how to think about things so that judgments can be made; how to distinguish truth from fraud and from show."
4. "When you have learned what an explanation really is, you can then go on to more subtle questions."
5. "The scientist has a lot of experience with ignorance and doubt and uncertainty.... We take it for granted that it is perfectly consistant to be unsure--- that it is possible to live and NOT know. But I don't know whether everyone realizes that this is true."
6. "An ordinary fool isn't a faker; an honest fool is all right. But a dishonest fool is terrible!"
7. "The test of science is its ability to predict."
8. "Know how to solve every problem that has been solved."